It is thought that Christopher Dresser first became acquainted with James Coupar & Sons following their production of St. Mungo glass. Its affinity with early Venetian and Roman glass resonated well with Dresser’s own interests in glassmaking; he admired the organically formed shapes and naturally coloured tints, which led him to further investigate the technical aspects of glass-blowing. He believed that “glass was capable of assuming the most delicate of shades” and in applying the principles of traditional glass-blowing techniques a harmonious effect could be produced.
Following suit, Dresser’s designs for Clutha are defined by daring use of colour and an array of mesmerising shapes. Typified by hues of pale green, Dresser experimented further with various colours and shades and began to incorporate aventurine inclusions – a direct influence of those early glasswares which fascinated him.
Dresser designed for James Couper & Sons until the mid-1890s and was followed by George Walton as a designer. Production ceased shortly after 1900. We were delighted to include a fine selection of Clutha glass (Lots 84-93) designed by Christopher Dresser and George Walton in our November Decorative Arts auction, achieving a grand total of 13,189 incl premium.