Taymouth Castle near Kenmore, Perth and Kinross was built during the early 19th century and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, built in 1552. Encompassing 450 acres, the land and castle were the property of the Campbells of Breadalbane until 1922. When they built Taymouth, no expense was spared and the interiors were bedecked in the finest Gothic style carvings, plasterwork and murals. Important craftsmen, architects and designers of the time were employed, including James Gillespie Graham and A. W. Pugin, plasterwork designer Francis Bernasconi and painter Cornelius Dixon.
When Taymouth Castle was sold in 1922, a large auction of the contents was offered by Dowell’s of Edinburgh in a six day sale (24-29 April 1922) on the premises. The sale catalogue of the time lists lots 2173 and 2180 as oak hall seats/chairs carved with coats of arms (see illustration online), which most likely describe the current lots.
The armorial bearings as carved on the stools and chairs are those of Campbell, Earl of Breadalbane and Holland. Given the evidence of the arms and the accompanying coronet of rank, together with the 1922 sale listing, they were possibly commissioned by John Campbell (1762-1834), the 4th Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, or his son, John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane and Holland, and the 5th Earl of that style.
We are delighted to offer a set of three carved oak hall chairs (Lot 292) as well as a set of four carved oak hall stools (Lot 291) from Taymouth Castle bearing the armorial for Campbell, Earl of Breadalbane and Holland in our forthcoming Five Centuries auction on Wednesday 5 February taking place in Edinburgh.