We are looking for a new Junior Paintings Specialist to support join our busy team of Paintings & Sculpture specialists based in Edinburgh.
This exciting, full-time, position will assist and support the Specialists, Heads of Sale and Head of Department through the cataloguing, research and content production on items consigned for sale. The role offers an excellent opportunity to develop knowledge of both works of art and the marketplace as a whole.
As part of one of our busiest specialist departments the successful candidate will be required to be organised, flexible, a strong communicator and demonstrate an attention to detail. A passion for Fine Art is essential and a relevant qualification/ experience in the area desirable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Auction related duties
- Assisting with catalogue photography
- Sale room set up and break down
- Sale listing online
- Post-sale organisation and correspondence
- Sale day duties including but not limited to; assisting with clerking, spotting and online bidding platforms
- Responding to client calls and emails in a timely fashion
- Managing email enquries from central email and website
- First point of contact for department
- Handling incoming goods, ensuring they are recorded correcly
- Managing storage areas competently
- Dealing with stock turnover appropriately e.g. secondary salerooms, off site sales, other offices, etc.
- Being main company contact for specific secondary salerooms
- Keeping department top clients list up-to-date
- Searching database for relevant previous buyers and under-bidders in advance of auctions
- Point of contact for monthly intern – organising their time for the duration of their internship
- Completing induction, and end of placement review, with intern
In addition to the above as required by the dept. you will:
- Catalogue and prepare property for dept. sessions to determine value, condition and marketability with senior specialist colleagues
- Research property for cataloguing using online databases, catalogue raisonnes, departmental library and other library resources and outside experts
- Produce content for a number of formats, from catalogue footnotes and introductions to online articles, as required by both specialist and marketing depts
- Assist with catalogue production and proofing
- Prepare sale condition reports, initially assisted by senior colleagues
- Grow knowledge of specialist subject
- Begin valuing property, initially assisted by senior colleagues
- Begin to take responsibility for lower value items/secondary sales
- Attend work related events, both internal and external
- Assist clients bringing in items for sale and with enquiries at sale views
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Liaise with the marketing and events team including providing image suggestions, proofing promotional content and collaborating on social media campaigns
- Departmental communication – scheduling regular departmental meetings, taking minutes, circulating notes and managing department tasks.
- Keeping up-to-date with administrative developments and database processes
- Providing additional support to the London office, and its associated off-site sales, as required
- Working hours - Monday - Friday (8.30am-5.30pm), evening and weekend work in addition when required by the business.
- Location - Edinburgh City Centre*
- Salary - Commensurate with experience
*subject to variation whilst government restrictions are in place.
MORE INFORMATION & APPLICATIONS
To apply, submit a CV and covering letter to Head of Operations, Laura Henderson on firstname.lastname@example.org demonstrating your suitability for the role and how you meet the skills and experience. Applications must be received by close of businesss on Wednesday 17th February.