With spectacular views spanning the shores of Loch Lomond, Rossdhu House is a three-storey classical country house commissioned by the 26th Laird, Sir James Colquhoun in 1772 and further expanded by his son, the 27th Laird, also James Calquhoun. The Palladian style building, now grade A listed, was designed by an unknown architect, although there are some house records to indicate it may have been a Mr. Thomas Brown, while Sir John Clerk of Penicuik is known to have been consulted. Built from a combination of honey and pink coloured sandstone ashlar, the house is characteristic of Scottish architecture from the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries and the interest in the Classical orders. It features many elements which draw upon the symmetry and proportion of the architecture of ancient Greece and Rome, including an elevated entrance featuring a striking portico framed with a series of by two wings added in the 1810s, which included an enlarged dining room where the present dining table was located.
The house and policies remained in the Calquhoun family until the 1980s when it was sold and developed, becoming the home of the exclusive Loch Lomond Golf Club which it remains.
This late Georgian Mahogany five pedestal dining table built circa 1820 is composed of a rounded rectangular top with a moulded edge. Each tilt-top section is on a tapered pedestal with the quadruped bases having slightly hipped outswept legs ending in brass caps and castors. The table can be extended with four leaf inserts.
Dates for Your Diary
AUCTION | Five Centuries: Furniture, Paintings & Works of Art from 1600 | Wed 27 February, 10:00am
VIEWING | Sat 23th & Sun 24th Feb 12pm-4pm | Mon 25th & Tues 26th Feb 10am-5pm | Morning of sale
LOCATION | 33 Broughton Place, Edinburgh