Design Exhibition Scotland | 12 to 15 May 2018
Design Exhibition Scotland is a pioneering project driven by a desire to support and champion design excellence in Scotland. The project's aim is clear: to raise the visibility of Scotland’s outstanding designers here and internationally. Celebrating exceptional objects for the everyday. It will showcase the work of over 20 innovative designers and artists working in a range of materials and styles to create indispensable objects, such as tables, seating, bookcases, flooring and lights. The designers are all exploring pertinent issues surrounding function, materials, sourcing and sustainability.
Ellie Carr-Smith | Woolarch Chair, 2017 | Image: Brenda Morgendorffer
Showcasing new site-specific commissions, including a linen tie-dyed wall-hanging by Glasgow-based Rachel Adams and an installation of seating by Andrew Miller, who frequently uses discarded materials to construct functional objects. Other new products include birch ply stackable chairs designed and fabricated by Alice Jacobs and lights which explores the ‘user’ as a component in design by Katherine Snow, a recent graduate of Edinburgh College of Art and currently artist in residence at ECA’s Design Informatics and a chair made of Scottish sandstone by Nick Ross, a graduate of Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen, now based in Stockholm.
Vitally Design Exhibition Scotland will encourage conversation. DES Debates on Monday 14 May will bring together key national and international designers, makers and thinkers to exchange ideas with a wide public audience. Led by Prof Christopher Breward, from the National Galleries of Scotland, speakers currently include celebrated London-based designers, Max Lamb and Ineke Hans.
An exciting event bringing energy, ambition and fuel to a burgeoning interest in contemporary design, making and manufacturing across Scotland - particularly timely with the opening of V&A Museum of Design Dundee in September 2018.
Andrew Miller | Maybelle, Carol Anne and Mary Beth, 2018 | Image John McKenzie, courtesy of Ingleby Gallery
Exhibitors (list ongoing)
- James Rigler, Glasgow-based designer & artist working in ceramics
- Alice Jacobs, Glasgow-based designer & furniture maker
- Katherine Snow & Ellie Carr-Smith, 2017 graduates of Edinburgh College of Art
- Rachel Adams, Glasgow-based artist who is currently studying for a PhD at the University of Edinburgh & Dundee Contemporary Arts
- Bernie Reid, Edinburgh-based designer & artist
- Nick Ross, designer & graduate of Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen now based in Stockholm
- Jennifer Gray, graduate of Glasgow School of Art and Royal College of Art
- Goodd, Glasgow-based design consultancy who frequently collaborate with artists
- Briggs & Cole, Glasgow-based design studio specialising in ‘Design for Interiors’
- Claire Barclay, Glasgow-based artist whose work explores materials and function
- Simon Harlow, Glasgow-based designer & co-founder of Mirrl, makers of a recently launched new surface material
- Scott Jarvie, studied product design at Napier University, Edinburgh and lives in Glasgow
- David Watson, Port Glasgow-based designer & cabinet-maker
- Namon Gaston, designer & furniture based in East Lothian
- Peter Holmes, Edinburgh-based upholsterer
- Andrew Miller, Glasgow-based designer & artist whose work often engages with discarded objects
- Uncontrollable Urge, a collaborative partnership between two graduates of Glasgow School of Art
- James McLardy, Glasgow-based artist & designer who uses industrial material for domestic objects
- Harry Morgan, Edinburgh-based designer who often works with ‘traditional’ manufacturing processes
Illustrated in main thumbnail - (detail of) Briggs & Cole | Losango , 2012 | Image: Briggs & Cole
Design Exhibition Scotland | 12th to 15th May, open daily & free to all
11am – 6pm daily
Location | 33 Broughton Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3RR
Design Exhibition Scotland is funded by the National Lottery through Creative Scotland’s Open Project Fund; Inches Carr Trust, Lyon & Turnbull and private individuals.
DES Debates are realised in partnership with Craft Scotland.
Design Exhibition Scotland is supported by Arnold Clark; Bellfield Brewery; Edinburgh Gin; Koshni Garffney Architects; Peter Greig & Co Ltd, Kirkcaldy, Fife; Out of the Blueprint & G.F Smith.
For more information contact Susanna Beaumont on + 44 (0)779 056 9090 or email email@example.com